The Galewood Building History
The Galewood building is a Romanesque Revival style building that was constructed in 1892 by Cleveland architects Lehman and Schmitt. It served as a manufacturing and retail storefront and was the first building to sit fronting the historic Superior Viaduct. It has remained a tenant occupied commercial block since the time of construction with the 2220 building a designated City of Cleveland Landmark. Early tenants of the 2220 building were the Van Cleve Glass Co. who used the building as a warehouse and manufactory with a glazing and carpentry shop and painting room for sash, doors and blinds. By 1912, the building had become occupied by The Sterling Furniture Company. The entire block remained under the same ownership from the time of its construction by real estate investor Hubbard Cooke until 1975. The first floor of the building was most recently occupied by the Spaces Art Gallery and was then acquired in 2014 and underwent extensive renovations, creating one of the most exclusive urban residences in Cleveland.
Schedule a Tour
Discuss current or future luxury living opportunities with The Galewood Luxury Loft Team.